When it comes to pills and chemicals, it is second nature to keep these out of the hands of children. On the other hand, because marijuana is natural, people often think it’s less dangerous. If it is baked into an edible, like cookies, then it’s just asking for a toddler to snag some, though, which can lead to harmful results.
We all know that kids can get into lots of things you’d never expect them to – in this story, the three-year-old managed to get into the refridgerator in the garage to consume his grandma’s edibles – so be sure to find the best hiding spots possible if you know there will be children near your medicine supply.
A three-year-old California boy was rushed to the hospital Saturday morning after apparently eating marijuana-laced cookies.
The family believes the boy got into his grandmother’s stash of chocolate-chip pot cookies, tucked away in a garage refrigerator, one day earlier.
The family called police around 10:30 a.m. the next day when the toddler would not wake up after a long night’s sleep, and they realized he may have eaten the cookies, according to a press release from the Murrieta Police Department.
The boy’s grandmother, who had been diagnosed with cancer, had a doctor’s recommendation for medical marijuana to treat her pain and help her sleep, Sgt. Phil Gomez told The Press-Enterprise newspaper.
The boy’s aunt was babysitting him and his younger sibling Friday while the father was away, Gomez said. When the father returned that afternoon, he noticed crumbs on the garage floor and assumed the child’s grandmother had been into the cookies, the Press-Enterprise reported.
Read the full story here. Our thoughts go out to the family and we hope the child has a speedy recovery.